Sukhiyan/Sugiyan/Modakam- a sweet nostalgic snack. Who could forget the taste of snacks in our childhood. Nothing can beat those snacks like sugiyan,diamond cuts,madhura seva etc. My mom used to make these at home, whenever we would be home for vacation. These sweet snacks are found in local tea shops in Kerala and we used to buy. When I make this snacks quite often, feel revisiting those golden days.
Sugiyan is an inviting tea time snack made of green gram coated with jaggery and maida. Sukhiyan is rich in protein with cherupayar(green gram) so it is a healthy snack as well. I always fascinated about the making of this snack during my childhood. But once I start making it I found it is the most easier snack I could make for evening tea. As it contain cherupayar/green gram it makes it more healthier. And it can be the best way to feed your child the protein rich grams. You should give it a try today itself..
- Cherupayar(Green gram) – 1/2 kg
- Jaggery – 1/4 kg
- Coconut – 2 cups
- Maida – 2 cup
- Gram Flour – 1 cup
- Cardamom – 5 crushed
- Cook cherupayar(green gram) in 3 cups water and drain the water completely. Make sure that it is not overcooked.
- Melt Jaggery by adding 1/4 cup water. When it melts add coconut and cardamom. Mix well.
- Add the cooked cherupayar to this mix and combine. Make sure that the mix is dry. When it is cooled make small balls with the mix.
- Combine plain flour and besan flour. Add little water to this and make a thick batter. Dip each of the balls in the batter and deep fry in hot oil.