Bread Nirachathu/ Bread Stuffed with meat masala
Bread nirachathu/bread stuffed with meat masala is another authentic Malabar dish that is served for the iftar times and some of other festivals of Muslims. This snack is mainly famous in north Malabar area like Kannur and Calicut districts. My studies were at Kannur district. So I used to have a lot of friends from Kannur area. And once in a while we all get together at any one of their house. Bread nirachathu is one of the item happened to taste once during the visit. Still I didn’t forget to appreciate the taste. It was like a whole festive blast. Then after a long gap I happened to taste the same item from one of a restaurant and I remembered the old one. I should tell you guys the homely one was much more yummy than the restaurant one.
So i decided to take the step to make a one. I contacted one of my friend and I got this recipe from her mom. I prepared the bread nirachathu with many stuffing this one is the best stuffing I felt. The meat filled bread is just the whole bread is filled with onion based masala and boiled eggs and it is shallow fried coated with eggs and sugar batter. The amazing part of the dish is the serving. When we cut the bread it opens like a magic box with the extra ordinary tastes of meat masala and the eggs. You can substitute the stuffing with the chicken only if you are not a big fan of meat. Should try it at home! 🙂
- Meat(Chicken/beef), cooked – 1/2 kg
- Onions, diced – 2 large
- Green chillies – 4
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1tspn
- Oil- 1 tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tspn
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chilli powder -1/2 tspn
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves – 2 tspn
- Boiled eggs
- Bread loaf – 2
- Eggs – 2
- Sugar – 2 tspn
- Ghee – 2 tspn
- Maida as required.
- Heat oil, sauté onion, green chilli, ginger. When soft, add cooked meat, coriander powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Cook till the mixture is dry. Add coriander leaves.
- Make a hole in the bottom of the bread loaf. Stuff the meat mixture and boiled eggs(cut into halves). Cover the bottom of bread loaf with maida batter(Mix maida with water and little salt to a thick consistency).
- Roll in egg sugar mixture and shallow fry in ghee on all sides. Cut into slices and serve as a snack.
Recipe Courtesy: uppercrustindia