We have seen many seafood dishes recently. I have tried many seafoods such as prawns, squid and varieties of fishes. Today I am trying total different dish using squid. I have seen the same dish in an itlaian stuffing before. So I thought of a stuffing in Indian style. I got this Meen Koonthalil Nirachathu/ Stuffed Squid recipe from a TV cookery show. This is my style of filling tested and tasted many times and approved by my foodie guests.
We have seen squid variety recipes including roast and fries. Squid (or calamari, its Italian name) can be prepared in a variety of ways — fried, braised, grilled and roasted — and all are good. In this recipe whole squid are stuffed with neymeen/seer fish and some other spices and ingredients. The whole squid is filled with the flavourful neymeen filling –the neymeen is initially cooked in spices and chopped into pieces and mixed with falvours and green gram mix- and it is stuffed and deep fried fully. I hope you will love this Meen Koonthalil Nirachathu/ Stuffed Squid.
- Squid(Koonthal) – 1/4 kg
- Neymeen/Seer fish – 2 pieces
- Green chillies – 5 nos(split)
- Green Gram – 1 cup
- Shallots – 1/4 cup(chopped)
- Garlic – 3 cloves(chopped)
- Ginger – small ppiece(chopped)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 + 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder
- Curry leaves – 2 springs
- Egg – 1
- Oil – As needed
- Salt – As needed
- For preparing squid nirachathu, clean and cut the squid tentacles finely. Keep the body of the squid.
- Cook neymeen/seerfish with salt, turmeric pwdr, chilly pwdr. Chop it into small pieces. Cook green gram with salt and turmeric.
- Splutter the mustard in oil.Add in green chillies, shallots, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Saute it well.
- Then add chopped neymeen pieces and cooked green gram and mix well. Add required salt and pepper.
- Stuff this mixture into the body of the squid and stitch the opening of the squid with a toothpick.
- In a bowl mix chilly powder, turmeric powder,lime juice,egg and salt.
- Dip the stuffed squid in the above mixture and fry it in hot oil till it becomes crispy.
- Squid nirachath is ready. Serve immediately. Serve it along with sauted veggies.