Chowwary Appam/Sabudana Appam
There were a few requests for different variety of appams for breakfast. I dug very deep into my archives and fished out this Chowwary Appam recipe for you breakfast variety enthusiasts. This is my personal experiment which I tried a million of times in my home for breakfast. Once I made it for dinner as the batter was left in fridge. That is not the matter here. This is a very special recipe from my Sister in law’s kitchen. She used to make these and served with hot and yummy vegetable stew when we are in Bangalore. As all we know school times are pretty harder for every mother on deciding what can be made for your child lunch box?? So for those who are struggling like me for the time, I want to share my secret recipe of this tasty and healthy Chowwary Appam made with chowwary/sabudana.
This is my favourite too because I even can eat them without any curry I mean as plain. The recipe of Chowwary Appam gives the soft light appams with a mild sweetness that came from the sabudana pearls. The method of making these are strictly traditional where the sabudana and the urad dal I soaked over many hours and grind it with rice, yeast. Sugar and a pinch of salt. My foodies, I recommend this one to all of you. Hope you will enjoy it!
- Raw Rice(Dosa Rice) – 250 gram
- Urad Dal – 1 tbspn
- Sabudhana/ Chowwary – 3 tbspn
- Yeast – 1 pinch
- Leftover Cooked Rice – 2 tbspn
- Sugar – 1 pinch
- Salt as required
- Wash and Soak Raw rice and Urad dal together and Sabudhana/Chowwary separately for minimum 6 hours.
- Put all ingredients in mixer /Grinder and grind well with required water. The batter should not be too watery. Batter consistency should be like batter for idli.
- Keep it aside for fermenting.(Overnight).
- Heat a tawa, pour a ladle of batter, spread it in a circular motion.
- When it gets cooked, Serve with potato stew or any other spicy Curry.