Ayala Mulakittath/ Red Fish curry
Today I’am sharing an easy fish curry recipe, It is Ayala Mulakittath/ Red Fish curry. Fishes are more important for Keralites compared to any other states. It is only because they are easily available with plenty varieties of fishes. They have the chance of getting fresh fishes straight from the harbour. Most of the places in Kerala has a backwater facility. So for them fishes are the common dishes for their meals. Mackerel/ ayala is one among them.
These fish are gaining attention because of their high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for cardiovascular health. Ayala provide protein, vitamins and minerals, and little saturated fat and i thought this is the best choice for mulakitta meen curry. The fish gives the whole taste when it get mixed with the spices and masalas and of course the red colour of the curry make it irresistible. I have used kashmiri chilli powder for extra colour. You can use the normal chilly powder also. Anyways it is gonna taste seductive. So don’t miss to try this Ayala Mulakittath/ Red Fish curry, the ultimate Kerala Fish Curry! Enjoy!
- Ayala/Mackerel – 6 nos
- Tomato – 2 Medium chopped
- Small Onion – 8 crushed
- Ginger – 3 tsp finely chopped
- Garlic – 6 Finely chopped
- Green Chilly – 3 no’s
- Tamarind – Gooseburry sized
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 3 tbspn
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tspn
- Salt – For Taste
- Curry Leaves – 1 handful
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbspn
- Soak Tamarind in 2 cups of water and keep it aside, also clean the fish and cut in to 3 pieces each.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a clay pot /Heavy Bottomed Vessel, Splutter fenugreek seeds, add curry leaves then add ginger chopped, garlic chopped green chilli chopped and crushed small onions and sauté till row smell gone.Add chopped Tomato and saute till it mashed well.
- Add all powders to it and again saute for 2 minutes and pour tamarind extracted pulp with water.
- Then add enough water and cook on High flame ,till it starts to boil. Add fish pieces and cook for another 20 minutes or until the fish pieces are cooked well.Switch off the flame.
- Cover with a lid for atleast 30 minutes.