We all familiar with the common potato curries. For me, potato curries are much more common as my kid loves potato dishes. I have experimented a plenty varieties of potato curries over time. If my memory is right, potato curry was the first ever dish i made during my childhood. I have tried many north indian dishes ,and in my experience north indian dishes are most flavourful dishes compared to any other cuisines. Today i am sharing a north indian style potato gravy which is extremely different from your normal potato curries. I got this recipe from a cookery blog.
The speciality of the potatoes are that they can absorb the flavour of anything which they are added with them. That means if we add chicken with potato those will taste like chicken. In short, potatoes are so much flexible in the cuisine. This is a north indian style potato gravy where the magical taste of this curry is just added by the jeera. Cumin/jeera has an authentic flavour so the flavours in the jeera will be added when it added in the onion-tomato base and potatoes,and took it to the extreme flavours and uncontrollable aroma. I cannot describe it in my words, but you have to try it once and you will know what i am feeling. So i hope you guys will try and let me know the results!
- Potatoes – 4 medium sized
- Onion – 2
- Tomatoes – 4
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Ginger -1 inch piece
- Green chillies – 1
- Cashew nuts – 1 tbspn ( soak it in hot water)
- Oil – 2 tbspn
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Salt needed
- Cumin seeds/Jeera seeds – 1 tspn
- Chilly powder – 3/4 tspn or as required
- Coriander powder – 2 tspn
- Cumin powder -1 tspn
- Garam Masala -1/4 tspn
- Pressure cook potatoes and peel off its skin. Cut it into cubes. Heat 1&1/2 tbspn of oil and fry potatoes well for 5-6 minutes. Keep aside.(No need to roast it)
- Grind onion, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, green chillies, cashew nuts to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat a tbspn of oil in a pan, add cumin seeds.When they start to splutter, add the grounded paste, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and needed salt. Cook well till the raw smell goes.
- Then add the shallow fried potatoes, a cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes till everything gets blended well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Potato gravy is ready to be served.