Rava Laddu or Rava Ladoo or sooji ladoo also called as Rava Unda is quick and easy to make sweet and is one of the first few sweets I learned to prepare. This is my mom’s recipe. I used to follow her recipe. This time I wanted to try a different version for a change along with my mom’s version. So I made rava laddu with coconut and milk in it. It tasted delicious but these ladoos do not have a long shelf-life as we have added milk and coconut to it. Sooji or rava ladoo is one of the easiest sweet that you can make in few minutes. These are sweet balls made using semolina (sooji/rava), ghee (clarified butter) and sugar.
Ladoo is the Indian name for any sweet which is round in shape! For making this ladoo, you first need to roast the sooji, stirring it continuously. Semolina burns very quickly once it’s hot so you have to keep stirring continuously on medium heat. You will know it’s done when you start getting a nice aroma from it, add sugar, ghee and grated coconut and finally some milk to control the consistency of the ladoo balls. Add some ghee and milk and make ladoos. It’s really that simple! Kids will really enjoy this rava ladoo.
- Sooji/upma rava/semolina – 1 cup
- Sugar -3/4 cup (increase according to your choice)
- Cardamom powder – 1 tspn
- Cashewnuts – few
- Raisins – few
- Ghee – 3 tbspn
- milk as required
- Grated coconut – 1/3 cup
- Heat a pan, add a tbsp of ghee and toast the cashew nuts and raisins till golden brown. Remove from pan, keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the sooji/ rava and roast it for approximately 7-8 minutes till a nice aroma comes and it turns a light brown shade. Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Take a pan add some ghee and roast the grated coconut then add sugar, cardamom powder, roasted sooji and remaining ghee and combine well. Sprinkle few tbspns of milk and mix till it forms a crumbly mixture.Switch off the flame.
- Using your hands, form small ladoos and top with a roasted cashew nut and raisin. While shaping the laddos be careful such that the mixture stays together.