Kilikoodu/ Malabar Special Kilikoodu
Kilikoodu is a special Malabar snack. This savoury snack is an all-time Ramadan special and combines the wholesome goodness of mashed potatoes, chicken, egg and onion with the complex flavours of coriander and garam masala in a fried delight. The garam masala based masala in mixed with smashed potatoes and shaped into rounded bird’s nest and coated in eggs and then on vermicelli/semiya. The layer of egg gives a unique taste while the broken vermicelli coating make it top-notch crunchy feeling when we grab a bite.
This is a non-vegetarian snack but we can make vegetarian variety also, avoid chicken and egg. Make a potato mix with same ingredients as per the recipe and add more vegetables instead of chicken and adjust the consistency in order to make the balls. The unique appearance of this snack make it more wanted over other snacks. I have presented it with small rice balls into the shapes of birds eggs to attract more attention. So think wisely and make it as your own.
- Cooked Chicken – 1 cup
- Potato(cooked) – 1 cup
- Onion(finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Green chillies(chopped) – 2
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tspn
- Ginger- garlic paste – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves(finely chopped) – 2 tbspn
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 1 tbspn
- Egg – 1
- Pepper powder – 1 tspn
- Lemon juice – ½ tspn
- Garam masala – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for frying
- Vermicelli – for coating
- Cook chicken with 1/2 tspn pepper powder, 1/4 tspn turmeric powder and salt. Shred it and keep it aside.
- Cook potatoes ,mash it and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions and saute well. Add green chillies, ginger- garlic paste, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, curry leaves, garam masala and coriander leaves and saute well.
- Add shredded chicken, saute well and make small balls out of this mixture.
- Mix mashed potato with pepper powder, lemon juice ,and salt.
- Cover each chicken balls with mashed potato mix. Make this to your desired shape.
- Beat egg in a bowl and dip each of the above prepared kilikoodu into this and roll it in vermicelli .
- Heat oil in a pan, fry it till both sides turn golden brown.