Squid Roast/ Malabar Style Koonthal Roast
There are a ton of recipes from my mom, I could share, this is one among them. ’Squid Roast/ Malabar Style Koonthal Roast’, It amazes me every time I have it at my mothers home. This Squid Roast is one of my old time favourite. So today I am expressing an other exotic seafood recipe made with squid/ koonthal /kanava in a spicy roast form. We have seen many roast dishes made with all kind of non vegetarian items. This is my style of malabar recipe which is quick and easy koonthal roast with only available ingredients in my kitchen.
This is a authentic mode of koonthal roast/ squid roast cooked in all natural spices and ingredients. Initially the cleaned ring shaped squids are cooked with some regular spices and kept aside. Then it mixed with onion tomato mix and added garam masala for more flavour. Friends, I am sharing with you how to make this spicy delicious Koonthal roast. Have a look, of-course you couldn’t stop making it.
- Squid/ Koonthal – 1/2 kg
- Sliced onion – 2 cup
- Sliced tomato – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 4
- Ginger-garlic paste -1 to 2 tbspn
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tspn
- chilli powder – 1/2+1 tbspn
- Garam masala -1/2 tspn
- Oil – As required
- Curry leaves – 2 Springs
- Salt – As required
- Clean and cut the squid into rings. Cook squid with water,turmeric powder,chilly powder and salt(10 minute in low flame).Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in pan. Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add sliced onion,curry leaves and green chillies.Fry till golden brown colour. Then add tomatoes and cook till it turns to mashy.
- Add chilli powder,turmeric powder and garam masala. Saute for 1 minute.
- Finally add cooked squid and mix well. Cover the lid of pan and cook for 5 min in low flame. Serve hot with steamed rice/ appam etc.