Pachadi is one of the traditional Kerala dish that served as side for meals. It is usually preparing with vegetables or fruits. There are plenty varieties of pachadi. It is a very quick and simple dish that can make within a short span of time. Actually this recipe is the integral part of the onasadhya. Pineapple Pachadi is a traditional Kerala side dish which is made with pineapple in a coconut yogurt based sauce. Last time I posted some other sadya item recipes so wanted to post a pachadi recipe this year. Pachadi is nothing but raita which is usually served as an accompaniment for meals in onasadya. Pineapple Pachadi is a delicious raita with a sweet tangy taste. Pachadi usually make by grinding together coconut and mustard seeds and finally simmering everything in curd.
In some regions of Kerala, they don’t grind mustard seeds for Pachadi. Instead they season the dish with mustard seeds. Whereas, if mustard seeds are used only for seasoning. You may get confused between pachadi and kichadi. The difference is the pachadi is the sweet version of the same dish, which is usually prepared with the ripe fruits. This Pineapple Pachadi is much sweeter than any other pachadi as I used pineapple and the exotic combinations of flavours will make it more irresistible.
- Ripe pineapple – 1 (peeled, cored and cut into small pieces)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tspn
- Chilli powder – 1 tspn
- Salt to taste
- Green chilli – 2
- Mustard seeds – 2 tspn
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Yogurt/ Curd – 5 tbspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Dried red chillies – 4
- Coconut oil for Seosoning
- Water as required
- Cook pineapple pieces with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt for 3-4 minutes.
- Grind the coconut, half the mustard seeds and green chilli to make a smooth paste.
- Pour this coconut paste to pineapple mixture and stir well to coat evenly.
- Take the mixture from the heat and stir in the yogurt/curd, till everything is evenly combine well.
- For seasoning:- In a small saucepan, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the remaining mustard seeds and allow them to pop, then add the curry leaves and red chillies ,Pour this over the pineapple mixture and serve.