Vendakka Mezhukkupuratti/ Ladies Finger Stir Fry
A simple and perfect side dish for rice and chapathi. It is better to use tender okra/ladies finger for a tasty mezhukkupuratti. We have already discussed about the health benefits of using ladies finger for the meal. Still i am repeating the same as many of you may not aware about its boundless health benefits if we include it in our diet. Ladies finger/okra has known for their ability to prevent diabetics in a very short time. The dietary fibre content of an Okra/ladies finger is known to be high and hence many health specialists recommend it for digestive benefits. We are discussing about a Kerala traditional dish, mezhukkupuratti/stir fry is common and delicious side dish for rice.
- Ladies Finger/Okra – 250 gram (thinly sliced)
- Shallots/ Small Red Onions – 10 (sliced)
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1/2 tspn
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tspn
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash the ladies finger/ vendakka/ okra and pat dry,then slice them thinly.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds, when mustard starts to pop, add curry leaves and sliced onion. Saute the onions till it turns soft.
- Add the sliced okra, red chilly flakes and red chilli powder and combine well, cook for 10-15 minutes until all the stickiness disappears. Do not cover the pan.
- Add salt and stir well and cook until okra is cooked well. Serve hot.