Vegetable Stew/ Vegetable Ishtu
There are a lot of familiar vegetable curry recipes. But in my choices stews are the best gravy known. Today we are talking about an excellent Kerala homemade vegetable stew that I learned from my mother, tested in my kitchen. Vegetable stew can be made with any vegetable available in your kitchen. Today we will learn how to make a creamy mixed vegetable stew following these simple steps. As it cooked in coconut milk it will add more health for your loved ones. Vegetable stew easily goes with any breakfast mainly appam and chappathi.
- Vegetables(potato, carrot – cut into small cubes , green peas) – 2 cup
- Onion, chopped – 1 small
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – 2 small sticks
- Green chillies, chopped – 2
- Ginger – Small piece
- Curry leaves – Few
- Pepper powder – 1-2 tspn
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thin coconut milk – 2 cup
- Oil – 1 tbspn
- Coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pot and add the cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon and fry for a few seconds. Add onion and saute well, then add ginger and saute for few minutes.
- Then add the green chillies, curry leaves and salt and fry again for a while. Add the vegetables and mix well and saute for few minutes. Add pepper powder. Mix well.
- Add the thin coconut milk and cook for a few minutes. Add the thick coconut milk when the vegetables are well cooked , don’t let it boil.
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves and remove from the fire.
- Serve hot with appam/ palappam or chappathi.