Nice Pathiri (Malabar Special)/ Ari Pathiri
Nice pathiri is an authentic traditional malabar food. It is more famous and common in muslim homes for their breakfast. Ari pathiri/ malabar pathiri or nice pathiri is a very easy flat roti which will go with any side dishes. It is made from rice flour mixed up with boiling water to form a dough and then flattened them into round shape then cooked on tawa or a pan. Try these simple steps to make a delicious breakfast dish. You can serve the pathiri with any dishes but tasted more yummy when served with thenga paal/coconut milk or non veg curries.
- Rice flour- 1cup
- Water- 1 cup
- Salt- to taste
- Rice flour- more for dusting while rolling the dough
- Boil water in a saucepan, Add salt to the boiling water. When water boils, add the rice flour and mix it using a wooden spoon.Remove from the fire and combine well. Let it cool down a bit.
- Knead well the mixture when it is still warm till it’s soft and smooth.Make balls out of the kneaded dough.
- Place the ball on a wooden board or chapati making board. Sprinkle little rice flour over it. Using a rolling pin, roll it to a round shape. Keep dusting with rice flour to prevent sticking to the board. Roll to thin round shape.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or non-stick tawa over medium heat. Place the rolled pathiri on the skillet or pan. When the bottom side just starts to wilt, in about 30 seconds, flip it over to the other side.
- When the bottom side starts to get a few light golden spots, flip it over.
- Gently press the sides with a spatula, the pathiri will puff up nicely.
- Remove from the skillet and place it on a plate. Wipe off any rice flour left on the cooking pan before you place the next rolled pathiri.
- Nice pathiries goes well with varutharacha chicken curry. You can also serve this pathiries with any of your favourite curry.