Neymeen Thengapal curry/ Coconut milk Fish Curry
Neymeen thengapal curry or the coconut milk fish curry is a disparate form of fish curry. Any of us may be tried it at least once at our home. This is an authentic fish curry that hailed from long back ago. The speciality of this curry is the richness of the coconut milk. The fish is cooked in the rich coconut milk which will give the curry thicker and creamier taste of flavours. Here I have used neymeen(seer fish) here but you can use any fish but it taste best if it is a fleshy fish.
I always like to have this creamy fish curry with plain rice and a pappadam. I don’t know about you friends,but still you can serve it with any main dishes like appams,chappathi or any roti. And I don’t know how to say it tastes awesome!! My dear foodies, if you haven’t tried the coconut milk fish curry yet you should do now. Do not waste time!!
- Neymeen/ Seer Fish(or any fish) – 250 gram
- Shallots – 10
- Green Chilly – 3-4
- Tomato – 1 small
- Curry leaves – few
- Thin coconut Milk – 2 cup
- Thick coconut milk – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tspn
- Kudampuli(Gambooge) – 1 piece
- Tamarind pulp – 1 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tspn
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil
- Take a manchatty/ clay pot, Pour thin coconut milk,Tamarind pulp to it and mix well. Add green chilly, tomato chopped ,ginger, shallots(5 – cut into long pieces),turmeric powder, curry leaves mix well. Place this on flame.Add salt.
- When it starts to boil add fish pieces. Add Thick coconut milk,when the fish is cooked well. Switch off the flame when the gravy starts to boil.
- Heat oil in a pan ,splutter fenugreek seeds, add chopped shallots when it turns brownish add curry leaves, saute it. Pour this to the fish gravy. Serve hot with steamed rice, appam, chappathi.