Malabar Fish Biriyani
Fish Biriyani is a popular and traditional Indian dish which is famous in every corner of India. May be nowadays other cultures are adapting the recipe as it is fully loaded with flavors that everyone will fall in love. Biriyani is my all-time favorite. It can be cooked in many variations. The blending of rice with our favorite masala makes this dish very special. Chicken biryani, Mutton biriyani, Prawns / shrimp biryani, Egg biriyani, Fish biriyani are some variations in biriyani. I cannot imagine any party or celebrations are without the biriyani. Especially for us , malabarians biriyanis are the main part of any celebration cuisine and nothing can beat its position.
Fish Biriyani can be made in different methods using different ingredient. I make the Biriyani after frying the Fish. Not all Fish is good for Fish Biriyani. Big fish with flesh like King Fish, Pomfret and Hamour tastes awesome. Fish biriyani is an excellent dish with fish and an amazing rich nutritious dish for all seafood lovers. Fish is marinated; shallow fried, and mixed with the masala gravy, then mixed with the cooked rice which gives an aromatic flavor and it tastes simply amazing. So foodies, let’s see how to make delicious, yummy, tasty, perfect fish biriyani.
- Biriyani rice – 1 kg
- Neymeen/SeerFish or Ayakoora/King Fish – 1 kg
- Turmeric powder – 1 tspn
- Chilly powder – 2 tbspn
- Oil – ½ cup
- Onions, chopped – 5-6
- Ginger, crushed – 1 ½ tbsp
- Garlic, crushed – 1 ½ tbsp
- Green chillies, crushed – 6-10
- Tomatoes, chopped – 2 large
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped – 3 tbsp
- Curd – 3 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – ½ cup
- Cashew nuts, cut in pieces – 6
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 ” piece
- Cloves – 3
- Hot water – double the measurement (volume) of rice
- Mint leaves, chopped – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Marinate the fish pieces with turmeric powder,chilly powder and salt for 1 hour. Shallow fry it in oil.
- Wash the rice and drain through a sieve. Keep aside.
- Add one tablespoon oil to a thick bottomed vessel and saute the onion with salt, after keeping aside two onions for a later use.
- Add the crushed ginger, garlic, green chillies and tomato and saute for two more minutes. You can add more oil if you need. Add turmeric powder and salt followed by half the quantity of garam masala and coriander leaves along with one and half table spoon lemon juice(optional).
- Switch off the flame and add curd to the gravy and mix well. Place the fried Fish Pieces in the Gravy and keep it aside.
- Heat the ghee and the remaining oil in another thick bottomed pan. Fry the kept-aside onion pieces in it followed by cashew nuts and raisins. Remove them from the pan and keep aside.
- Add the rice to the remaining oil in the pan followed by cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and fry for three minutes. Add the hot water and as it starts boiling, add the salt. Reduce the flame and turn the rice over from time to time to get the rice cooked evenly.
- When all the water in the rice is absorbed, remove from flame.
- Arrange half the quantity of the rice as a layer over the fish masala in a thick bottomed vessel.
- Mix the remaining portions of the garam masala and coriander leaves with the fried pieces of onion. Sprinkle half portion of the mix over the rice. Arrange the remaining rice over it.
- Cover the vessel tightly with a heavy lid and cook over a low fire for a few minutes. Keep it aside for few minutes.
- Uncover the vessel and transfer the rice to the serving dish. Spread out the fish masala over the rice and garnish with the remaining portion of the fried onion-garam masala coriander leaf mix.
- Serve hot with onion curd salad and coconut chutney.