Kakka Rotti/ Steamed rice dumblings in chicken gravy
Announcing a special iftar chicken dish for all the chicken lovers. It is known as kakka rotti in malabar areas and typically it is a combination of steamed rice dumplings in a chicken gravy. It contains the steamed rice dumplings mixed with a very delicious spicy chicken gravy. The dumplings are made with roasted rice flour and the chicken gravy consist a tremendous amount of spices and other ingredients. Both the items are cooked separately but mixed together last so the dumplings has the flavour of the chicken gravy. It is your choice to serve it as an apettizer or a main course dish. I have presented it as a main course during our ramadan season. So that you can serve this dish along or alone.
For the dumplings:
- Roasted Rice flour – 1 and 1/2 cups(I used pathiri podi)
- Water – 2 cups
- Shallots – 10
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 Tspn
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1/2 Tspn
For the Chicken Gravy:
- Boneless chicken – 1 cup (small pieces)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tspn
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 medium
- Crushed Ginger and garlic – 1 tbspn
- Green chilly – 3 no
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 Tspn
- Red chilly powder – 1 and 1/2 Tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 tspn
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 Tspn
- Garam Masala – 1 Tspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 3 Tbspn
- Grind coarsely shallots, grated coconut and fennel seed.
- Cook the chicken pieces with turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt.
- When the water starts to boiling, Add salt,rice flour and grounded coconut mix. Mix well with a spatula.Switch off the flame. Mix and make a thick and smooth dough.
- Grease your palm with little oil and make small balls. Slightly press the centre of the balls with your finger tip to give its shape. Steam this for 15-20minutes. Keep it aside.
- Grind coconut, fennel seeds and turmeric powder to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add curry leaves, crushed ginger and garlic, green chilly and onion. Saute it. Add tomato and saute well.
- Add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder, mix everything and roast well. Add cooked and crushed chicken and grounded coconut paste to it. Mix well with masala. Adjust salt. Allow it to boil.
- Transfer cooked rice dumplings to it. Mix well. Allow the gravy to get dry.Tasty Kakka rotti is ready to serve. Serve hot.