Easy Vegetable pulao
Think rice, and Vegetable Pulao is the first dish that most people are immediately reminded of. Although the name sounds simple, the Vegetable Pulao is actually a very adaptable one, and different people have different ways of preparing it. Some use whole spices to flavour the rice and veggies, while others use a fresh wet masala. Some people cook the ingredients separately and mix them together, while others cook it all together.
This is my way of making pulao! Here, we present you a well-rounded recipe that has all the necessary flavours, made possible in less than 10 minutes! In our method, the ingredients are all cooked together in a handy pressure cooker, along with whole spices and some common flavourful spices for that extra punch. I also tried many varieties of pulaos. But this Vegetable pulao is much time consuming and easy to prepare. The only issue is the cutting of vegetables. You can add whichever vegetables you want and can add in any form. But suitable if it is finely chopped. Enjoy your meal time with this easy but tasty pulao!
- Basmati rice – 1 1/2 cup
- Water – 2 3/4 cups
- Onion, sliced – 1 medium
- Tomato, chopped – 1 medium
- Potato, chopped – 1 medium
- Green Peas – ½ cup
- Cauliflower/gobi florets – ½ cup
- Chopped carrots – ½ cup
- Oil/ Ghee – 2 tbspn
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1-2 tspn
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 2-3
- Cloves – 2-3
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1 tspn
- Cashews – 12-15
- Kismis – 15
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile when the rice is soaking, you can wash and chop all vegetables. For the cauliflower florets, rinse and soak them in hot water. Drain the rice and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add all the whole garam masala spices and fry till the oil becomes
fragrant. Now add the sliced onions and fry till they become golden.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw aroma disappears for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots or beans and saute for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame. keep on stirring.
- Now add the green peas and saute for 2 minutes more on a low flame. Keep on stirring gently and saute the rice for 2-3 minutes on a low flame, till the oil gets coated well and uniformly on the rice grains.
- Pour water and stir. Add salt and check the taste of it. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook the rice on medium or high flame for 3 whistles.
- Meanwhile when the rice is cooking, prepare the garnishing ingredients. Fry cashew and kismis.
- When the rice is done, gently fluff the rice. You can add the fried kismis and cashews to the rice and gently stir. Vegetable pulao is ready. You can also garnish the rice with fried onions.