Chicken Masala Bread Pola
Today I am introducing another special recipe from Malabar cuisine. It is Chicken Masala Bread Pola. I had already shared some other varieties of pola like kaipola, carrot pola, apple pola and thari pola. This Chicken Masala Bread Pola is a spicy version of pola. Bread pieces were dipped in egg and placed on the greased pan as the bottom layer. Chicken Masala was spread on it and again bread pieces were placed over the chicken masala and cooked over very low heat. It resembles the shape of a cake. Do try this easy bread pola at your home.
- Chicken – 200 gram (boneless)
- Oil – 1 tbspn
- Onion, chopped – 2 medium
- Ginger-garlic paste – ½ tbspn
- Cilantro, chopped – 2 handfuls
- Green chilly, chopped – 1/2 tbspn
- Curry leaves, chopped – 1/2 tbspn
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tspn
- Salt- to taste
- Ghee- 1½ tbspn
- Bread slices, white or wheat – 8- 10
- Egg, beaten – 4 0r as required
- Ground pepper- ¼ tspn
- Cook chicken pieces with salt and turmeric powder with enough water. Shred the cooked chicken pieces and keep it aside.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat, add oil. Add chopped onions, season with salt and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, saute till onions turn golden in colour.
- Then add chopped green chilly and curry leaves and saute well. Add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken to the onions, combine well.
- Taste and add more salt if needed. If more spice is needed add more ground pepper or chilli powder. Combine well.
- Add chopped cilantro, cook for a few seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep aside. Chicken masala filling for bread pola is ready.
- Remove the brown sides of the bread and cut each bred slices into four pieces.
- In a bowl, beat the egg with ground pepper and salt.
- Take a non-stick pan for making this. Place the pan over low heat.
- Add 1 tbspn ghee, let it melt and spread the ghee inside the pan (sides and bottom of the pan). Take out pan from flame.
- Dip the bread pieces in the egg batter and place it on the pan. Do not soak the bread in egg, just dip it and take it out. Also, there shouldn’t be any gaps between the bread slices.
- Evenly spread a few tablespoons of chicken masala over the bread layer.
- Again, place the bread slices dipped in egg over the chicken masala. Bread should fully cover the chicken masala. If there is any egg remaining, pour over the bread. Drizzle ½ tbspn ghee over it.
- Let the bottom bread layer turn golden brown in colour for 3 to 4 minutes over low heat. Make sure the heat is very low, else the bread will brown fast.
- Cover the pan with a plate and gently flip it over. The bottom bread layer will be on the top of the plate now.
- Gently, slide it into the pan using a flat spatula so that the uncooked top layer will become the bottom layer.
- Cook covered over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes till bottom layer turn golden brown in colour as well.
- Transfer it to a plate when it is completely cooked.
- Let cool down and slice into desired shapes.