Channa Masala is one of the common dish that are served in my home. Everybody have their own way of making their channa masala. I am sharing my own of making this Channa masala. Channa Masala , a delicious curry from Punjabi cuisine is popular in all over India. A spicy curry is prepared from white chickpeas (kabuli chana), tomatoes, onion and basic Indian spices. It is best when served with batura (deep fried puffed Indian bread look like poori). My recipe is not an authentic way preparation of Channa masala.
The white chickpeas are having high protein and fibre content, and also vitamins and minerals. The channa masala is hailing from the punjabi cuisines mainly. But it is more common in every home nowadays. I made channa masala like a 100 times and it turns out more yummy in each time. The main quality of the dish is the spicy and creamy base masala and when the chickpeas are cooked in the yummy masala it turns out much more tastier than before. The spices added will boost up the flavours up toyour taste buds cannot resist the taste. This channa masala can served with any indian roti or it taste yummier even it serve with plain rice.
- Channa – 200grams
- Channa masala powder -25 grams
- Coriander leaves – few(chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1pinch
- Ginger garlic paste – 1tbspn
- Green chillies – 2 number
- Lime -1 number
- Oil – 3 tbspn
- Onion – 2 number
- Salt to taste
- Tomatoes – 2
- Turmeric (optional) – 1 pinch
- Whole garam masala – few
- Soak channa/chole in water overnight or to cook the same day soak them in warm water for atleast 5-6hours. Pressure cook channa. Drain the channa, reserve the liquid .
- Chop up onion, tomatoes. Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds whole garam masala.
- When the cumin seeds change colour add chopped onion to it and saute till they are brown. Then add the Ginger-garlic paste to it and saute for couple of minutes.
- Add all the tomatoes dry powders to it and saute, add salt. Saute the tomatoes till they are soft and mashed up,
- Add the channa to the mixture and mix gently so that chole are properly coat in the mixture.
- Add the reserved stock water depending on the gravy you need, check and adjust the seasoning.
- Simmer the stove and cook covered for 5-6 minutes.Serve it with poori or chappathi etc.