Chakkakuru Thoran/Jackfruit Seed Stir Fry
Did you know: Jackfruit’s flesh is very high in fibre content. It is a healthy fruit with almost no fats but high energy. It contains high amount of the nutrients like vitamin, minerals, electrolytes , phytonutrients , carbohydrate, fibre, fat, and protein. Jackfruit is a good source of calorie but contains no cholesterol or saturated fats . Eating jackfruit seeds will also provide you with a number of beneficial phyto chemicals, or plant chemicals, some of which, like polyphenols, have antioxidant activity. Other phyto chemicals found in jackfruit seeds include saponins, which may have some anti-cancer activity, and flavonoids, which help limit your risk for blood clots. Enough for the class now. Today I’am introducing Chakkakuru Thoran.
Boiled Jack fruit seeds can be used as an alternative to potatoes. My family members love the sweetness of ripe jackfruit. I use jackfruit seeds to prepare stir-fry and spicy mezhukkupuratti. It suits well as a side dish with rice or chappati. Chakkakuru thoran/Jack Fruit Seeds Stir Fry is a delicious dish made using the seeds of the ripe jackfruit. These seeds are steamed, then chopped, seasoned and stir fried along with coconut. It is a very typically delicacy from Kerala.
- Chakka Kuru/Jackfruit seed – 2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/4cup
- Green chillies – 3
- Small onion/Shallots – 5 no’s
- Curry leaves
- Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
- Coconut oil – 1tbspn
- Cook chakkakuru/ Jackfruit Seed in a little water and salt. Grind grated coconut, green chilly and small onions.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves and grounded coconut mix and saute well.
- Add cooked and drained chakkakuru/Jackfruit Seed and stir well. Make it dry. Serve it with rice.