Rice kheer/ Pal payasam
Palpayasam/ Rice kheer is a traditional dish usually prepared during special occasions. It is made with rice and milk as main ingredients. I have tried a payasam /kheer with the rice at my home and i found it very tasty and thought of sharing it with my foodies. Here it is! Rice kheer is a popular sweet in india where indians are always served on their special occasions. It was not a special occasion for me when i made it in my kitchen still could not resist myself to share because of the wonderful taste and flavour. I am sharing a rice kheer/ pal payasam without using condensed milk and made with very commonly available ingredients milk as the main ingredient. I have used basmati rice for this payasam but we can use any kind of rice to make it. Hope you guys will enjoy it. Have a yummy day!
- Milk – 4 cups (full fat)
- Basmati rice – 2-3 tbspn
- Ghee – 1 tspn
- Sugar – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Saffron – few strands (soak it in a tbsp of milk)
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chopped Cashew and Almond – 3 tbspn
- Heat a tsp of ghee and fry the basmati rice for a few minutes. Do not over fry until it turns brown.
- Pour the milk to a heavy-bottomed pan with 1 cup of water and bring it to boil . Once the milk boils, add the sugar and simmer until it reduces to half.
- Add the fried rice and continue to cook on very low flame, stirring frequently until the milk thickens further and the rice is cooked soft.
- Add the soaked saffron and cardamom powder and switch off the flame. Garnish with chopped nuts. Remove and serve warm / chilled.