When I entered to kitchen in morning today, I noticed some leftover rice that from yesterdays. Then I got a thought to remake it into another one. At last I came up with the remix of one of the Malabar dish pathiri with some extra tasty magic in it. Here it is! Thenga pathiri/coconut pathiri using leftover rice! This Thenga pathiri is a best breakfast item with or without any side dishes. Thenga pathiri has the essence of the coconut and other ingredients which will make it so irresistible even for children.
- Leftover cooked Rice – 2 Cup
- Rice Flour – 1/2 Cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 Cup
- Small Onion/Shallots – 4 nos
- Cumin Seeds(Jeerakam) – 1 tspn
- Salt as required
- Grind the cooked rice for some minutes(No need to make it a smooth paste).
- Grind coconut with cumin seeds and small onions.
- Mix the grounded cooked rice with rice flour and grounded coconut mixture.Add needed salt and knead it to make a dough. It will be a little sticky to begin with but as the dough comes together, it gets easier.
- Cut banana leaf/ parchment sheet into suitable size pieces. Place a ball sized dough on the leaf / sheet and flatten it with the palm into disc shape(pathiri) . To avoid sticking you can apply few drops of oil on your palm.
- Place the rolled pathiri on the greased skillet or pan. When the bottom side starts to get a few light golden spots, flip it over. Cook both sides. Remove from the skillet and place it on a plate.