A thoran is a type of side dish that can be prepared with a variety of vegetables. The key ingredients—grated coconut, black mustard seeds, shallots, green chillies and curry leaves—remain the same. And the vegetables can be changed according to seasonality or your preference. Today I’m sharing classic Kerala style cabbage thoran – cabbage stir fry with coconut which is easy to make and delicious healthy dish.
Each thoran uses the same basic ingredients and tastes nothing like the other. From jackfruit and raw papaya to green gram and banana stem, thorans are high on exotic charm and absolutely delicious. Usually keratitis is the ambassadors of the thoran recipes. None of the keratitis are having their meal without a vegetable thoran. This is a very easy and quick stir fry which goes well with rice. Thoran is one of the many dishes in the Onam Sadya menu. I have tried all types of thoran with many vegetables. Cabbage is the main key vegetable in my thoran list. This Cabbage Thoran goes well with rice.
- Cabbage (finely cut/ grated) – 1 cup
- Red onions (chopped) – 1/4 cup
- Green Chilies (slit) – 3-4
- Grated Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Heat some oil in a pan. Splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, chopped red onions and saute.
- Then add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Add the grated cabbage and some salt and saute well on medium heat.
- Cover and let it cook for about 5-10 mins.
- Easy cabbage thoran is ready to be served.