Green peas masala is a common dish in my kitchen. Because every time when i am out of vegetables or non vegetable only lentils are ready to help me. Green peas are low in calories and contains no cholesterol .They are excellent source of folic acid and also contain adequate amount of anti-oxidants. Enough with the benefits. Comes to the dish,the speciality of the dish is that they are easy and quickly prepared with a little ingredients that are always avalable in you kitchen.
The dried green peas (pattani in malayalam) is used here and if you are not able to get them you can use the fresh one in packets/tin. The green peas are pre cooked and the onion – tomato spice full masala mixed with it then added with the coconut milk will give it a pleasant taste. I usually use it for my dinner to serve with chappathi. Once i made this Green Peas Masala with Kerala porotta and it tasted more yummy.
- Dried green peas – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 medium(nicely chopped)
- Ginger – garlic paste – 2-3 tspn
- Green chilli – 2-3
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Fennel powder – ½ – 1 tsp
- Tomato – 1 small (nicely chopped)
- Coconut milk – 1½ – 2 cups
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves – few ( chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Wash the dried green peas and soak them in water overnight. Drain the water and pressure cook them with 2 cups of water and salt it for 3-4 whistles on high flame (or until it cooks well) and keep it closed for some minutes. Separate the cooked green peas and stoke.
- Heat oil in a pan, Add the chopped onions and cook till it turns golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and green chilli. Let it saute for 2-3 minutes. Add all the masala powders. Stir well and cook till the oil starts appearing. Add some tbspn of stock, just to bring the masala together.
- Add curry leaves, salt and chopped tomato. Mix well. Add the remaining stock. Let it boil, add cooked green peas. Mix well. Add thick coconut milk, let it boil. Cover and cook for 10 mins. Add chopped coriander leaves and remove from fire.