Kerala Style Fish Molly is a lightly spiced fish curry. Appam/ Palappam with Fish Molly is a favourite of every Keralites. I do not know about you friends but it is my favourite. Half fried fish pieces are cooked in coconut milk based gravy with some spices so that flavour of the fish dominates tin the curry. Kerala Style Fish Molee tastes yummy with Appam, Chappatis and Bread. Fish used for the dish can range anything from king fish to any fleshy ones. We have introduced a simplified version of Kerala Style Fish Molly dish. I have used pearl fish/ karimeen for the recipe and I guess it is the best one for molly.
Fish molly is a simple fish curry that might have been brought to Kerala by some foreign countries.You can make this using coconut powder or fresh coconut milk or canned coconut milk. But fresh coconut milk is preferred. The freshness of the fish is very important. If you use old and frozen fish….the taste differs…so do not compromise on the freshness of the fish. You might have come across fish molly recipe where the fish is fried lightly before immersing into the curry…my umma states that there is no need to fry fish if your fish is fresh (according to her in olden days fish is fried lightly to retain his freshness till the curry is made; remember there was no refrigerator during those days.), so I used the fresh fish here.try it today itself and enjoy!
- Fish – ½ kg (i used karimeen/pearl spot)
- Onion – 2 small
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 1/2 tablespoon each
- Green chillies – 3 or 4
- Small onion – 5-6
- garam Masala – 1/4 to 1/2 tspn (optional)
- Tomato – 2-3
- Thin Coconut milk – 1&1/2 cup
- Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Salt, oil & curry leaves – as required
- Pepper powder – 1 tspn
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tspn
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tspn
- Marinate the fish pieces with pepper powder, turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice. Keep it for half an hour. Shallow fry the marinated fish for just 2-3 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Saute for a minute. Add chopped small and big onions. Once the onion becomes soft add thin coconut milk. Let it boil. Add the fried fish pieces and required salt.
- After that add tomatoes and curry leaves. When the gravy starts to becomes thick, sprinkle little garam masala(optional).Once the tomatoes cooked add thick coconut milk and just heat it. Don’t stir it using spoon.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.