Crab Roast/ Kerala Style Njandu Roast is a delicious seafood delicacy of Kerala. This dish is also very popular in Kerala’s toddy shops (kallu shaapu). We have seen many variety dishes using seafood lately. I’ve got requests for Crab recipes & I guess this recipe should solve that. A big thank you to ms. Asma shihab for sharing this wonderful recipe .I am the crazy fan of that awesome Kerala Magic dish from my child hood. In this recipe I add coconut oil and fresh Kerala spice powders for the authentic taste. It tastes awesome! Try this tasty Kerala Style Crab Roast at your home. It is best served with rice; if you like to have little gravy, you can add in half a cup of thick coconut milk. I have served it with the special kappa puzhungyath (steamed tapioca). But you can choose your main dish as per your preferences.
- Crab – 6 (medium size)
- Onion – 4 (medium size)
- Ginger – Garlic Paste – 4 tbspn
- Tomato – 2 medium
- Green Chillies – 4
- Curry Leaves – few
- Kashmiri Chilly powder – 2 tbspn
- Coriander Powder – 1 tspn
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tspn
- Fennel Powder – 1/2 tspn
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tspn (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Clean and cut crab into pieces.
- Cook crab pieces with salt and turmeric powder with enough water.
- Heat oil in a pan/ manchatty , add onion slices to it and saute well. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute well until the aroma changes.
- Add all powders (chilly powder,turmeric powder, coriander powder,fennel powder) and mix well.
- Once the raw smell of masala gone, add curry leaves, chillies and chopped tomatoes to it and saute well until it turns to a paste like consistency.
- Mix the cooked crab with this along with the water in which the crab cooked. Cook it for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or kappa.