Chena curry(yam curry) is a traditional gravy of Kerala cuisine. We used to prepare chena ozhichukoottan for onam. Chena is known as elephant foot yam which full of antioxidants and have lot many health benefits. Yam reduces LDL cholesterol in our body and there by reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases. I feel that Chena (yam) has a meaty texture and may be that’s why it’s one of my favourite veggies. I love it in any form. We can prepare lots of dishes with Chena/Yam.
I would like to share my simple and quick Chena Curry recipe. I prepared Chena ozhichu kootan curry with ground coconut mix. We can prepare chena curry with roasted coconut too. Make sure you get good quality Chena, sometimes if the water content is high in Chena, the flavour will not be there. Hope you get to try this dish as a part of your Onam celebration. If you haven’t tried it yet, please do it give it a try, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
- Chena/Elephant Yam pieces – 3 cups
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Shallots – 4-5 nos
- Salt to taste
- Turmericpowder – 1/2 tspn
- Chillypowder – 3 tspn
- Coriander Powder – 2 tspn
- Tamarind pulp – 1 tbspn
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 3 nos
- Curryleaves – few
- Pressure Cook chena/ elephant yam pieces, along with salt, turmeric powder,coriander powder and chilly powder until it cook well.
- Grind together coconut and shallots. Add it to the above cooked chena/ elephant yam pieces along with tamarind pulp, Simmer for few minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, Splutter mustard seeds followed by dry red chillies, curry leaves.
- Add the above seasoning into the curry and mix well. Simmer for a minute. Serve with rice.
This Chena curry is a perfect compination for hot steamed rice.