Butter Chicken as name suggests, is Indian chicken main course, a special curry cooked in butter and Indian spices…. because butter and spices make everything taste better! These two key components are must to make a delicious Butter Chicken. However, you don’t need a stick of butter to make butter chicken flavourful. Butter does add distinct flavour, but there are also other ingredients that make Butter Chicken so flavourful. So, to get restaurant style flavour in Butter Chicken, you have to add one main Indian spice – Garam Masala, to it! Few other ingredients that give Butter Chicken, a lush and creamy, restaurant like texture are tomatoes, almonds, yogurt, and finishing touch of little heavy cream. A very complex tasting dish sums up in these simple ingredients. Each of these equally contributes to that addictive “restaurant-style” creamy and fragrant chicken.
This recipe is very simple. Also, I have kept method of preparation very simple and standard. You can say, this recipe has evolved over-time from my earlier Butter Chicken recipe. From standard I mean, using this recipe, now you can make butter chicken, at home, with any cooking method of your choice.
- Chicken pieces – 400gm
- Onion – 3 medium
- Tomato – 2
- Butter – 100gm
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1Tbspn
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 2Tbspn
- Cashew nuts – 12-15 no
- Water – as required
- Garam masala – 1/2 tspn
- Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Cook chicken with salt and turmeric powder and remove chicken from the stoke.
- Blanch tomatoes, remove skin and set aside.
- Fry cashew nuts in oil and keep aside.
- Saute onions in the same oil until transparent and grind it with blanched tomatoes and cashew nuts to smooth paste.
- Mix kashmiri Chilli powder,a little turmeric powder and garam masala in the chicken stock.
- Heat butter in a hot pan add cooked chicken and shallow fry.
- Add ginger garlic paste and mix well. Reduce the heat and add onion paste and chicken stoke , mix well and cook.
- Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and serve.