This Thenga Varutharacha Beef Curry is a perfect combination for Pathiri and other rice rotis. I have already shared the recipe of Varutharacha Chicken Curry. This curry is also adapted almost similar method of preparation and similar ingredients. Here I am sharing the authentic way of preparation of Thenga Varutharacha Beef Curry in Malabar Region.
- Beef – 500 gram
- Small Onion/ Shallots(sliced) – 20
- Ginger garlic Paste – 1 Tspn
- Fennel Seeds – 1/2 Tspn
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 Tspn
- Chilly Powder – 1 Tbspn
- Coriander powder – 2 Tbspn
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 Tspn
- Coconut Oil – 1 Tbspn
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Shallots – 3 Nos
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Curry leaves – 1 Spring
- Cardamom – 2 Nos
- Cinnamon – 1 small piece
- Fennel seeds – 3/4 Tbspn
- Coconut oil – 1/2 to 1 Tbspn
- Shallots/Small onion (Finley chopped) – 2 Tbspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Coconut oil – as required
- First dry roast the Chilly Powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder and fennel seed together for 2 minutes.
- Take a pressure cooker, put the washed beef pieces to it, along with roasted powder mix, sliced shallots, ginger garlic paste, Fenugreek Seeds, salt as required and 1 Tablespoon of oil. Close the lid and put the whistle. Cook for 4 whistles or until the beef cooked well.
- Meanwhile we can roast the coconut mixture, for that heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan. To this add cardamom, cinnamon, and fennel seeds. Roast it until nice aroma comes.
- Then add shallots, Garlic, curry leaves and grated coconut. Roast and cook till coconut becomes lightly golden. Keep stirring in between. Let it cool.
- Transfer to a blender and blend it to smooth by adding some water. Keep this aside.
- Once the beef is cooked well, pour the grounded paste of coconut, Mix well. Add half cup of water if needed. Add some more salt and bring to boil for 5 minutes.
- For tempering, Heat 1 tbspn of coconut oil in a pan. To this add chopped shallots and curry leaves, roast until the shallots becomes golden brown colour.
- Pour this Tempering over the beef curry and Mix well.
- Serve hot with nice pathiri. This is the perfect combination for pathiri.