A couple of weeks ago I posted a some other pasta dishes. If you have not checked it out yet please check it. Last day I remembered and got some wonderful shaped pastas from my kitchen which has been saving for my special guests…then I thought that I have my husband and kid as my special ones. So why shouldn’t I cook it for them? So I am ready to cook with it again. I thought to make some baked pasta dish and made a baked chicken pasta dish yesterday itself. I added some normal ingredients into the dish and small cut chicken breasts pieces to it and turned it like a yummy baked chicken pasta dish..
This one has a lovely rich garlic and white sauce and is topped with masses of melting mozzarella cheese. You can choose any shape of dried pasta for this dish we’ve used shells but spirals, twists or short-cut macaroni will work just as well. To prepare the bake in advance, leave the pasta and chicken with some onions and other spices mixed with white sauce and chicken stock and at last topped with the cheesy mozzarella cheese then heat it until the cheese bubbles.(the oven timings are variable for various ovens) It came out so good, I can’t wait to share it with you. Hence I am posting this baked chicken pasta immediately..
- Pasta – 1&1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 5 Tspn
- Onion(finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Chicken breast (cut into small bite-sized pieces) – 200 gram
- Garlic cloves(crushed) – 2 medium
- Coloured bell peppers(chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Plain flour/ maida – 1/4 cup
- Chicken stock – 1 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1 1/3 cups
- Freshly ground black pepper – ½ tspn
- Green onions/ spring onions(finely chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Grated mozzarella cheese – 1/2 cup
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to package directions or until just tender. Add 1 tspn of oil to it to avoid sticking. Drain pasta and keep aside.
- Marinate chicken with salt and pepper. Keep aside.
- Heat one teaspoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally , until lightly browned . Add garlic to the pan, stir to combine, . Add coloured bell peppers also, mix well, Saute only for few minutes. Transfer this mixture to a small bowl.
- Return pan to medium heat. Add remaining two teaspoons of oil to the pan and add chicken, cook until chicken is lightly browned. Then remove pan from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the flour and stir constantly . Once the mixture bubbles, continue cooking and stirring for about 40 seconds.
- Then add the chicken stock and milk. Increase heat to medium-high. Don’t worry about any lumps in the mixture, they should disappear while stirring. Cook, stirring constantly , until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to the saucepan.Stir to combine.
- Add onion,garlic , bell pepper mixture, chicken, green onion and pasta to the sauce.
Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a ovenproof dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes, until hot in the centre and golden brown.
(Here I bake only for 10 minutes or until the cheese gets melted)
- Allow to stand for five minutes before serving.