Ghee Rice/ Malabar Special Easy Ghee Rice
This is quite a simple and humble way of making a normal rice item into a special format. As we already discussed Malabar people cannot imagine their any special occasion without biriyanis. Ghee rice are the partners of biriyanis. My version of ghee rice is too easy because it is cooked in pressure cooker and it get ready within seconds of time.the original version is cooked fully in open pot until is get ready,it is more time draining.
The rice is cooked in the ghee and some common flavors of spices will make your taste buds seductive. The malabar style of ghee rice is spiced with cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and garnished with the fried kismis and cashews. You can serve the ghee rice with any kind of gravies. But it tastes amazing with non veg gravies like chicken,mutton and beef currries. My personal best is the ghee rice with chicken fry. I know everyone will try this recipe. Let me know your feedback.
- Jeera Rice – 2 Cups
- Onion – 1 no
- Salt – as required
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Water – 4 Cups
- Ghee – 2 tbspn
- Cashew nuts – a handful
- kismis – few
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Fry the cashews and kismis till light brown colour and keep it aside. Fry the sliced onions also and keep aside.
- In the hot ghee add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and saute it. To this add 4 cups of water and salt.
- Once the water starts to boiling, add the washed and drained rice and stir for some seconds.
- Close the lid and pressure cook till the rice is cooked well. (I have pressure cooked for 1 whistle and then switch off the flame).
- Open the lid only after all pressure gone. Mix well and serve with any non veg curry.