Muttamala is a typical malabar dessert, preparing with mutta/ egg and sugar. Muttamala is very traditional sweet served during mappila or puthiyappila salkaram(newly wedded couples party) mainly in north malabar areas. This is a classic malabar dessert ,“mala” the thread like consistency using the egg yolks and sugar and the whites are whisked with sugar syrup, steamed into pinjanathappam and combined together at the time of serving.
- Egg – 6
- Sugar – cup
- Water – 1cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 Tspn
- Milk powder – 1 Tbspn
- First the egg whites and the yolks are separated, kept aside.
- Boil water and sugar in a pan.make a thick syrup.
- Beate the egg yolks and then add this to the boiling syrup through a small hole in the egg shell, so that it falls like a thread. Pour it continuously till the full egg yolks are used up.
- Reduce the heat and sprinkle a little cold water. Remove the egg strings from the syrup without breaking them.
Spread in a plate. Remove the excess syrup. Muttamala is ready.
- Beat the egg white with the required sugar syrup, cardamom powder and milk powder.
- Steam the mixture.Cut into pieces of required shapes.
- Spread the yolk mixture on a plate and arrange the steamed egg white pieces in the middle.
- Garnish with cherries( Optional ).