This Malabar style fish cutlet is one of my favourite snack. We usually prepare this snack during iftar time. If there is any leftover fish fry and you want to taste some variety dish, then this malabar style fish cutlet is definitely a good one. You can use any fish for this cutlet. Here i used neymeen/ seer fish.
- Flesh of the Fish (Any fish) – 200 gram
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 piece
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 5 cloves
- Onion ( finely chopped) – 3 nos.
- Green Chillies (finely chopped) – 4 nos.
- Curry leaves (finely chopped) – 2 tbspn
- Boiled and mashed Potato – 3 nos.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tspn
- Pepper Powder – 1 tspn
- Garam Masala – 1 tspn
- Coriander Leaves – finely chopped
- Beaten Egg – 3 nos.
- Bread Crumbs – 1 cup
- Oil for deep frying – 1 cup
- Cook the fish with salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder with enough water. If there is any bone, remove it and simply crush the fish flush. You can also fry the fish instead of boiling.
- Heat oil in a pan then add onion,fry till golden brown,then add crushed ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves. Stir it well and saute for a while until it turn translucent.
- Add the cooked and crushed fish, pepper powder, garam masala and chopped coriander leaves. Finally add mashed potatoes. Mix it well and remove from fire and keep it aside.
- Make small balls from the mixture of the size of a big lemon and flatten with palm and make into desired shape. Here i made in heart shape.
- Dip it in the beaten egg and then roll in the bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the cutlet till it turn to golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen tissue and serve hot with tomato sauce or any sauce/chutney as you like.