Kozhi Ada is one of a famous Malabar snack. It is more common during the time of ramadan times for muslim. Being a muslim I was so familiar with this snack from my childhood itself. I have learned this recipe from my grandmother. I was a fan of kozhi Ada from that old times. During the last Ramadan when I was passing through the Kozhikode city I came to taste it again after a longer time. So I remembered to add the recipe for my foodie friends.
Kozhi Ada is too crispy and crunchy too so that kids will love to have it. I have filled the yummy Maida pockets with the fried shredded chicken fillings so that you can keep it for 1-2 weeks in a tight container. It is too simple to make but tastes amazing. Kozhi ada / chicken pockets is also prepared with coconut and sugar filling flavoured with cardamom powder which is called as sweet ada. So lets see how to make homemade hot pockets recipe / malabar kozhi ada / meat pockets with chicken.
- Maida – 1 Cup
- Water – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Chicken(Boneless) – 1 ½ Cup
- Turmeric powder – 1⁄2 Tspn
- Coriander leaves – 3-4 tbspn (nicely chopped)
- Lime juice – 2-3 tspn
- Coconut Oil – for frying
- Make a soft dough out of maida with little salt and water. Keep it aside.
- Marinate the chicken with salt and a pinch of turmeric powder for sometime. Deep fry the chicken and shred the fried chicken.
- Mix the shredded chicken with lime juice and nicely chopped coriander leaves. Keep aside.
- Roll out small thin discs out of the dough. Add required chicken filling on one side and fold it from the other side. Seal the edges together in a pattern to form a kozhi ada.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add the kozhi ada one by one, and fry on medium heat till slightly golden colour.