Palooda is a semi thick sweet drink mostly served during Ramadan. Palooda is a traditional drink that can be served warm or cold in Malabar Regions especially in Kannur area. This can be prepared easily with minimum ingredients. Palooda and Tharikanji are the two drinks that served during iftar time. Sometimes in North malabar they will serve these as welcome drinks. There are different types of methods for preparing Palooda. Here I am sharing my way of preparation.
- Maida – 2 Tbspn
- Milk – 500 ml
- Water – 1 Cup
- Sugar – As per your taste
- Cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon – 2 small pieces
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 Tspn
- Salt – a pinch
- Shallots/ Small Onion – 4 +2(Optional)
- Cashew Nuts – 10
- Kismis – 10
- Ghee – 2 Tspn
- In a bowl add maida and 1 cup of water and make a smooth paste without any lumps and keep it aside for 10 minutes. Discard the water on the top.
- Now take a heavy bottom vessel or a sauce pan ,pour the milk along with the maida paste mix well and keep it on medium flame.
- Add the Sugar, salt, 4 small onions sliced, Cardamom and Cinnamon.
- Stir continuously till it boils and become thicker in texture. Add cardamom powder and mix well then switch off the flame.
- Remove all the onion slices, cardamom and cinnamon from the drink in order to avoid biting it.
- Heat ghee in a pan fry cashew nuts and raisins (You can also add chopped small onions to it if you like its taste), pour this to the drink.
- Serve warm or cold as your wish.