Kozhikkal is a traditional Malabar snack originated at Thalassery. Kozhikkal literally means “Chicken Leg”. This snack resembles the shape of fried chicken legs thus the name “Kozhikkal”. This is a delicious snack with outside crispier and soft inside.
For preparing this Kozhikkal here i used gram flour and rice flour, You can also use Maida instead of gram flour. This is really a filling snack suitable with evening tea. Do try this tasty snack with tapioca at home. Hope you all will like this recipe.
- Tapioca / Kappa – 1 medium
- Gram Flour / Kadala Mavu – 1 Cup
- Rice Flour – 1/2 Cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1 or 2 pinch
- Chilly Powder – 1 Tspn
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1/2 Tspn
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tspn
- Curry Leaves (Finely chopped) – 2 Tbspn
- Coriander Leaves (Finely chopped) -2 Tbspn
- Asafoetida / Kaya Podi – 2 or 3 pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for frying
- Peel and wash the tapioca and slice them into thin strips (Like thick matchsticks). Soak them in water for 10-15 minutes, drain and pat dry then keep it aside.
- Take a bowl, add the Gram flour, Rice flour and prepare a thick batter by adding enough water.
- Then add Chilly powder, Turmeric powder, Ginger Garlic Paste, Asafoetida, Cumin seeds, Curry leaves, Coriander Leaves and Salt and mix everything very well(The Batter Consistency should be slightly watery than bajji batter).
- Then add the tapioca sticks to this prepared batter and coat well with the batter.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame, Take a hand full of tapioca sticks together and slightly shake off the excess batter then slide it gently into the oil.
- Deep fry on medium heat till it turns golden brown and crispy. Remove it from the oil and drain them on a tissue paper. Serve hot with tea.