Meat Box or Erachi Petty is a Malabari snack famous during Ifthar parties. Since the holy month of Ramadan has started, I thought it’s a good time to share this recipe. It is basically stuffed pancakes. The appearance of the pancake is like a box and hence the name erachi petty. The chicken fillings are placed inside the pancakes and folded like a box. Each pancake box is dipped in egg mixture and fried. I have a lot of Ifthar recipes. A sister snack to this is Paneer Petti which is the sweet version of this. If you have already prepared the meat filling in the freezer, you will find this snack quite easy and that too tasty. Why not try this?
Hope you all try this tasty and traditional Malabar Recipe Meat Box Recipe / Erachi Petti Recipe
- Chicken – 200 gram
- Onion – 2(Nicely Chopped)
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1-2 tspn
- Green chilly – 3 nos.
- Curry leaves(chopped) – few
- Turmericpowder – 1/4 tspn
- Chillipowder – 1/2 tspn
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tspn
- Garam Masala powder – 1/4 tspn
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – few
- Oil – 1-2 tbspn
- Salt to taste
- Maida / All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Water enough to make batter
- Egg – 1
- Coriander Leaves(chopped) – for garnishing
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- Cook chicken with little turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt. Shred/ Grate it and keep it aside.
- Heat Oil in a pan, add chopped onion, ginger-garlic paste, chopped curry leaves and chopped green chilly. Saute for some time until the onion becomes soft.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, pepper powder and Garam masala powder. Saute it for 1 minute. Add the shredded chicken to it, mix well. Add some coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Now the chicken filling is ready.
- In a bowl, add maida/all purpose flour, salt and enough water to make a thin consistency batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and pour little batter to form a medium sized thin pancakes/dosa.
- Take it to a plate when done(It just takes few minutes) and prepare the next dosa in low heat so that you can do the filling on the first dosa.
- Place the dosa in a plate , fill with 1 tbspn of the chicken stuffing in the centre and fold it like a box. Repeat the same with the rest.
- In a bowl, beat the egg well with a pinch of salt. Heat oil in a pan, dip each prepared box in the egg batter and shallow fry in medium flame. Flip when one side turns golden brown colour.
- Serve it with tomato ketchup.